Monday, May 22, 2006

X


Dusty, of the Lakeside team, scored me a free pass to X-Men: The Last Stand tonight.

I must confess that despite increasingly promising trailers, I was still seriously expecting not to see this one. I've never been a fan of Brett Ratner's work and, honestly, the humble director act he's been pulling on this promotional tour comes across smarmy and lame.

And couldn't say there's nothing directorially added to it. It mostly feels like the previous two films, but not as good technically. That said, I enjoyed it thoroughly. I think the almost chaotic energy works in its favor through nearly all of it. I haven't lived with it that long, so I could be off, but I think it may, in fact, turn out to be my favorite of the trilogy.

For the record, I liked X-Men better than X2, which is not the popular consensus, so I may not follow it here either.

I'm not sure what else is safe to say until more people have seen it. I really enjoy Kelsey Grammer as Hank McCoy. It's certainly far geekier than the first two. I think Bryan Singer held back the geekiness remarkably well and Ratner lets it fly. I'll be curious how that goes over with a non-geek audience, but I think it was fair enough after two movies of remarkable restraint on that end of things.

Anyway, go see it! Seriously.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics