Friday, June 09, 2006

Dellamorte Dellamore

I have a pre-street copy of Anchor Bay's new Dellamorte Dellamore (known in my country by the vastly less poetic title Cemetary Man). No, I won't tell you where I got it.

I'm looking forward to watching it, as its been quite some time since I've seen the movie. In fact, this will be the first time I see a good, properly framed version in English. I've seen old VHS copies and I've seen an Italian DVD without subtitles.

I am an on-again/off-again fan of the horror comedy genre. Mostly its the misunderstanding of other "fans" that I find more frustrating.

There are always the mediocre minds convinced they are smarter than the filmmakers who they imagine to have accidentally stumbled into the realm of comedy. The other group are the people who insist there's nothing but comedy, while the best horror-comedies work on multiple levels, Evil Dead II is actually remarkably good at ratcheting genuine tension and goosebumps, Peter Jackson's Braindead (known as Dead Alive in my country) hides a remarkably charming and sincere romantic comedy and the recent Shaun of the Dead actually does both, as well as being an interesting commentary on modern life.

Michele Soavi's Dellamorte Dellamore is a different animal, a very Italian animal. It's a big, broad hilarious comic book come to life. The idea of putting down the living dead being a tedious daily chore is delightful and perfectly executed. Gnaghi is wonderful stapstick sidekick.

But then there's the incredibly hot Anna Falchi, the beautiful cinematography, the haunting expressions of loneliness, longing and loss. Maybe I'll feel different with new eyes, but my memory holds it a very funny and poetic tale... of death... of love...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics