Friday, June 09, 2006

The Heart Is Deceitful Above All Things


The Heart Is Deceitful Above All Things by Asia Argento is an excellent movie.

I have not read the book, The Heart Is Deceitful Above All Things by J.T. Leroy, upon which it is based. I honestly can't bring myself to care about the controversy surrounding its author and authorship. The movie was scheduled for release in March and ended up coming out in the wake of the controversy and with the way the timing came, forcing the distributor to flail about for a knowing marketing strategy, I can't see it having done anything but hurt the film.

I think that's quite too bad. I haven't read the book, so I can't say how the integrity of the story affected the literary value of the book. I can't help think that the movie works better as fiction than it would as truth. It's framed with images of books, the scenes of trauma fade into stop-motion animation. Honestly, it reminded me of a weird kind of fairy tale, although having read a bit of the excellent collection The Armless Maiden and Other Tales for Childhood's Survivors edited by Terri Windling at my friend Jo's suggestion may have nudged me in that direction.

Sadly, I learn from the recent blog entry Miskalaneous by Tim Lucas that the confounding edit late in the movie is in fact a flaw that all of the DVDs have. I must say, I certainly enjoyed the movie as it existed, but it's disappointing. I hope that's corrected soon.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics