Thursday, June 01, 2006

Sex, Sade and Singapore

Some works of art defy easy opinions. Shinya Tsukamoto's Tetsuo or Elias Merhige's Begotten, as examples. I admire and have drawn inspiration from both at one time or another and will surely watch them both again a time or two, possibly soon, but I'm not sure it would be fair to say I like either... exactly.


I have a theory that if The Marquis de Sade wrote a screenplay adaptation of an Agatha Christie novel and David Lynch directed circa Eraserhead then the resulting film would not be unlike Singapore Sling. I mean that neither as recommendation or repudiation, but certainly as admiration.

Which leads me to a couple of questions. Not that it matters, but wouldn't a bold imagination such as Sade find the streamlined and generic sex games and accompanying uniforms used in his name to be banal? And why do we hear so little of Leopold von Sacher-Masoch, aside from the odd Venus in Furs reference?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't have anything to say on your thoughts in this post. I will only say that until I read the last paragraph, I honestly thought you were talking about the the sultry singer Sade. It didn't cross my mind that you meant de Sade.

I don't know what that means about me, but there you have it.

Jo

Neil said...

Ah. And, of course, she managed to never creep into my mind. It probably puts you in a place of being less fascinated with the perverse than other people.

**stands whistling innocently in the corner**

Now I'm off to see if I can find a rental copy Pasolini's SALO and go to work.

Neil said...

For the record, to anyone reading these comments: I did change the first reference to Sade to say "The Marquis de Sade" to avoid confusing more people.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics