Tuesday, July 11, 2006

More Perils


Elayne, the producer for Lakeside, managed to plant a seed in my memory, causing me to have something of a realization. I think The Perils of Gwendoline in the Land of the Yik Yak may have ruined my life.

Depending on future events, it may have also done wonderful things for the career I'd like to have, but for most of my life it, or the idea created by it, has haunted my dreams.

I can't recall where I first heard about it, although my mind's eye I imagine it as Cinefantastique, but the idea that someone was making something like Raiders of the Lost Ark with nudity was revelatory. I can't point to an earlier point in my life where the idea that movies should be both good as well as trashy. Then it played a midnight screening at the Seattle International Film Festival and I wanted desperately to go, but couldn't.

When I finally saw it on tape, months later as I recall, its was somewhat disappointing. I suppose it should have been a profound disappointment, but really. I was thirteen, Tawny Kitaen is naked a lot and, while I recognized it as not good, it was still trashy.


The entire experience did leave me with my constant quest for good trash and/or trashy art. A quest that I've found limited success at. Mind you, I've had better luck now that I've begun to look outside of American product, but nevertheless... I think this was the beginning.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics