Friday, August 25, 2006

The Boynton Beach Club


I don't have any vested interest in The Boynton Beach Club by Susan Seidelman. I didn't even know it existed until I saw Jim Emerson's review online. Nothing about it made it sound like anything I had any special interest in seeing or recommending others see.

Then a strange thing happened.

I made a huge mistake.

You may recall my reaction to Lindy West's review of Accepted in last week's Random notes.

In this week's On Screen, she tackles, that's right, The Boynton Beach Club.

Smug, overeducated smartass that she is, she still can't come up with one intelligent argument against the movie itself. Hell, she doesn't even attempt one. She's apparently skeeved out by old people being sexual.

That's all.

300 words to tell us all that she's skeeved out by the sexuality of the elderly.

I hope that, for her sake, Ms. West dies long, long before she ever has to deal with her own sexuality as a older person, however, for now I think everyone should run out and see The Boynton Beach Club.

I think everyone should go five times. I think they should tell the person at the box office, the ticket taker and the person at the concessions stand that "Lindy West sent me!"

I think The Stranger should fire her and have her reviews written by a random word generator instead. Then, at least, they'd show more insight into the medium of film, the workings of drama and story, etc. For now, they're just wasting ink.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics