Friday, August 11, 2006

Dario Argento


Do You Like Hitchcock? and Jenifer are being released on DVD this coming Tuesday. I've seen "Jenifer", Dario Argento's segment of Masters of Horror already. In fact, of those I've seen, it's solidly my favorite episode (check my review from the time here).

This news has also come out in regard to his next feature, Mother of Tears news. Asia Argento, his lovely daughter, is not only starring, but also Daria Nicolodi, who was his longtime lover/partner and who co-wrote the first two movies in the thematic series being completed here (it begins with Suspiria and Inferno).

One of these days I'd like to do a primer on Italian horror, since I'm occasionally asked what to recommend by those who haven't experienced much of it.

(Mind you, I'd like to do one on Italian action movies, as well, but we'll see if I get around to either.)

I used to be sure that Deep Red was the best introduction to Argento, it being my personal favorite. Having tried it a couple of times, I no longer do. Perhaps the slightly more popular Suspiria is better, although I'm currently considering starting with "Jenifer".

Mind you, the best introduction director is probably actually Mario Bava, which is part of the reason why the results of this will likely be sometime in the future.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics