Saturday, September 23, 2006

Geek Shame

My friend Jo had tickets to the secret screening at Fantastic Fest in Austin tonight and was trying to figure out what it was going to be. I was sent to read AICN Super Secret Screening tonight at Fantastic Fest by Harry Knowles and the Talkbacks, to see if I had any insight into possible clues.

It's been a while since I've endured AICN Talkback and there's a good reason for that. That sure is some ugliness. The current favorites are 300, Grind House and the favorite, as of this writing, Apocalypto.

Ultimately, from the people who insist there's no possible way that "... there's a reason it has to be top secret in advance. It's not just one of those snide things." could possibly mean what it literally says and not be a hint that it's 300 director Zack Snyder to the people who are sure that that "It is a HUGE preview event of a film and a filmmaker that is going to be absolutely unbelievably awesome" can only mean that the filmmaker is going to be an "absolutely unbelievably awesome" filmmaker rather than, as a normal person would read, that they're going to be an "absolutely unbelievably awesome" guest at the festival to the lightweight defences of Mel Gibson's dispicable racism, it's just ugly, ugly, ugly in there.

The worst part is that I found myself compelled to jump in and I found myself compelled to remember that back in the day I jumped into those kinds of things - only once or twice was it literally on the Talkback, which have always been a little below my standards of discourse - on a regular basis and found some kind of pathetic meaning it. That's what's depressing.

I don't care what the movie turns out to be, although I'm sticking by Mel Gibson's movie star status making that the front runner to kick up that level of hyperbole.

Whatever. It seems like that Wednesday secret showing of Pan's Labyrinth is the way to go. If I were there and it turned out to be Grind House, I'd regret that call, though. Not as disappointed as if I ended up at a screening of Apocalypto, though. I'll tell you that!

EDIT: As predicted, it's Apocalyto. Harry Sees Mel Gibson's Apocalypto At Fantastic Fest!! by Harry Knowles. What an anticlimax for my lamely spent Saturday evening.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics