Friday, September 01, 2006

Masters of the Universe

I really did intend to just pick up Jack Kirby's New Gods and look through it a bit, but of course it sucked me in. It literally gets better with every reading.


Anyway, my searches for a New Gods screenplay yesterday didn't yield me a script, but did lead me to this tidbit regarding the Masters of the Universe movie; apparently John Byrne claims it's "the best New Gods movie, IMHO, is 'Masters of the Universe'. I even corresponded with the director, who told me this was his intent, and that he had tried to get Kirby to do the production designs, but the studio nixed it. Check it out. It requires some bending and an occasional sex change (Metron becomes an ugly dwarf, The Highfather becomes the Sorceress), but it's an amazingly close analog, otherwise. And Frank Langella's Skeletor is a dandy Darkseid!"

I don't know how true this is, but I actually recall enjoying the movie back in the day, so I may have to check this out again soon with that in mind. Mind you, his description of it as "the best New Gods movie" is a little wonky, since there is no "New Gods movie" to compare it to. However, the more I stretch my memory, the more this makes sense. Certainly that weird extra dimensional portal is nothing if not a Boom Tube.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics