Sunday, September 03, 2006

Wally Wood's 22 Panels That Always Work


I'm a huge fan of Wally Wood. Honestly, I was fan before I knew I was. I used to read the paperback editions of the Harvey Kurtzman-era of MAD Magazine. Upon further examinations, most of my favorites were illustrated by Wood.

His work seems only more amazing to me considering his reputation as the "never draw anything you can copy, never copy anything you can trace, never trace anything you can cut out and paste up" guy. His work never suggests a hint of laziness. Even the least of his pictures have charming energy and ornateness that makes the eye want to stare at it forever.

Anyway, I first came across this in Woodwork Made Simple by Mark Evanier. It's the cheat-sheet he prepared for assistants and eventually Larry Hama distributed among new artists at Marvel Comics in the '80s.

Wally Wood's 22 Panels That Always Work: Unlimited Edition by Joel Johnson. It's worth a look.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics