Friday, November 25, 2005

Harry Potter and stuff

Ok, I'm way behind on a bunch of shit said I was going to talk more about or at least thought I was going to... not the least of which to keep discussing how dumb all of the detractors of Dario Argento's "Jenifer" episode of Masters of Horror. Yes, everyone has a right to their opinion, but all the people griping about this are griping for reasons that can only be held as true by the stupid. I exaggerate, I've read two people say they just never connected with it. What can you say to that really?


Anyway, my point here is to discuss Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire before I forget what I had to say.

This is a fantastic, well-made, perfectly acted movie. It continues from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban in really capturing the tone of magic throughout the wizarding world that I think the first two movies missed quite badly. I'm not sure what else to say about the good. I got teary when Cedric died. I thought, water sequence excepted, the CGI was remarkably well done. It also jacks up the darkness - those Death Eaters scared me, ferchrissake! - while having more of the kind of the books humor than any of the previous films.

It's a good example of the inherent difficulty adapting novels like this into films, however. Subplots that were important to the tone of the book are given only a cursory mention. Many things, I suspect, are given a mentions because of how they fit in the series as a whole. Prisoner of Azkaban cut back on these and told a very terse, tense story that really worked on its own terms. This one taunted us with more tastes that it was unable to fulfill fully.

So, a mixed bag. If I'd never seen Prisoner of Azkaban, I'd call this my first true cinematic experience into that world, so I'd likely be as excited as I was for that. For that alone, I have to recommend it. It definitely works.



And, not one good trailer. Yes, I'm including Superman Returns. On the big screen the sun haloing the head of Kal-El was even more obvious and painful. Way too much Christian parable for me in such a short little teaser.

Have a great holiday. Be thankful for those around you. I know I am.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics