Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Peckinpah


I love Sam Peckinpah. I haven't talked a lot about it recently. I haven't even thought much about it until quite recently. I may write more about it soon.

I've recently, however, caught up with the new DVDs of The Ballad of Cable Hogue, Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid and Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia, the latter being my favorite Peckinpah movie and one of my Top 10 movies of all time, with the commentaries by Nick Redman along with Paul Seydor, author of Peckinpah: The Western Films - A Reconsideration, Garner Simmons, author of Peckinpah: A Portrait in Montage and David Weddle, author of If They Move... Kill 'Em!: The Life and Times of Sam Peckinpah.

I'm quite enjoying them. They're informative and conversational, like hanging out with a really smart group of friends, rather than say listening to a lecture. I even happily listened to both Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid commentaries and look forward to more.

Next up, I expect, will be Ride the High Country, as it's waiting at the Hollywood near my house.

I suppose this restored Major Dundee should be high on the list. It's there, too, but somehow I'm dreading it.

I'm kind of thinking of saving The Wild Bunch for last. Maybe I'll get a chance to purchase it by then.

After that, I haven't decided how to order The Getaway and The Osterman Weekend. If I get to Scarecrow Video or On 15th Video in the next short while, I'd figure it'll be The Osterman Weekend, so I can get both disks and watch "Sam's First Cut".

Straw Dogs and Cross of Iron both have commentaries by Stephen Prince, author of Savage Cinema: Sam Peckinpah and the Rise of Ultraviolent Movies. I expect I'll wait to watch those until I've finished with this gang on the Warner Brothers disks.

I'm wary of getting them from Netflix, because sometimes they don't always update their catalog with new editions, and I don't want the crappy old editions of any of those.


EDIT: It seems Netflix is not even claiming to have the newest editions, so it may be a Scarecrow or On 15th Video marathon one of these days.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics