Thursday, November 16, 2006

Psychoanalyzing my own taste

Looking at my Top 10 movies, as well as the follow-up, Lingering favorites, I'm struck by a couple of things.


A Clockwork Orange has been my "official" favorite movie since high school, possibly before. Looking at it there, I'm always tempted to pull it down. Possibly get another Stanley Kubrick movie up there somewhere. It feels like the choice of a pretentious teenager.

And yet, I genuinely watch the movie every year and find something new and exciting in it every year that resonates with me on some deeply personal level. The themes of identity recurs remarkably often in the movies on there.

More than that, I'm struck by how masculine both lists are overall. They're not only movies with very male characters, but the themes of well over half of the Top 10 and at least half of the auxilary list are specifically about maleness, what it is to be a man, what choices it entails and what making those choices means.

I'm not sure what any of that says exactly about me, but I can't help finding it intriguing. I certainly have some thoughts on it.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics