Friday, December 22, 2006

The Bava Underground and other random notes


Watching Planet of the Vampires and discussing its obvious influence on Dan O'Bannon, Ronald Shusett and Ridley Scott on that little sci-fi/horror movie they made together, I realized that Mario Bava is the Velvet Underground of genre cinema.

There's a quote somewhere, although I forget who said it, that only 6000 people bought The Velvet Underground & Nico, but every one of them went off and started their own band.

Now, I think with television and drive-ins, a few more than 6000 people saw Bava's movies, but his influence still seems vastly disproportionate to his recognition among the public.

I'm currently procrastinating my review of Dungeons & Dragons - The Complete Series, although I'll get to it.

I'm also still working my way through Mission: Impossible - The Complete First Season, and will review it when I'm done, but frankly, it's one of the best shows in the history of television, absolutely taut, brilliantly acted and well-crafted, outsmarting my attempts to outsmart it on every episode, that you shouldn't wait for my more complete thoughts, you should get to watching it.


2 comments:

Marty McKee said...

Can't wait to read your full thoughts on M:I. Even though I already have all the episodes uncut, I bought the set anyway for two reasons: the better quality than the old TV Land telecasts and to support the release to help ensure the whole series will eventually come out. Hopefully the next season will have some extras.

Neil said...

I'm looking forward to having them.

I am taking it kind of slowly, allowing myself to fully enjoy it. It's such a brilliant series.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics