Monday, January 15, 2007

Bandida footnote


In my previous rambling post, I included a rather enthusiastic review of Bandidas, which I stand by.

I will note, however, that the music, by Eric Serra, is absolutely atrocious. A sin before the glorious gods of music. It is insanely overbearing, even by the standards of today when overbearing seems to be the general preference. It also tries very hard to capture the Ennio Morricone sound, while having no clue at all what makes that sound so wonderful.

Shameful!

I also thought the slow motion sequence was weak. One of these days, I'll write a whole post on why I think Ronny Yu's use of slow motion in Fearless (or that in B13 (which was also co-written and co-produced by Luc Besson) works so well and this doesn't. For now, I'll simply note that it had no emotional or kinetic resonance.

But I still think the movie as a whole was a hoot. And, if I ever give Salma Hayek and Penélope Cruz a training routine, I, like Sam Shepard, will include push-ups in the river.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics