Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Magneto


I was pondering a larger point earlier to blog about and thought of the pronunciation of the name Magneto as a side point. Sadly, I am currently unable to remember the larger point.

It wasn't until relatively recently that I learned how widespread the desire among Marvel Zombies to pronounce his name "mag-NETT-oh" is. All I can say is, "Just stop it!"

In English, a vowel followed by a single consonant and another vowel is pronounced with its long sound. Period.

The supposed logic is that his name is derived from the word "magnet", which is, indeed pronounced "MAG-nett". However, the actual word magneto, pronounced "mag-NEE-to", is, unsurprisingly, also derived from the word "magnet".

Your argument has no base.

Ok, I read someone say it sounds dorky. I guess I can give you that, but you are reading a comic book created by Stan "The Man" Lee and Jack "King" Kirby. That's part of the fun. Reading comics is supposed to be fun, right?

1 comment:

Marty McKee said...

I think I'm remembering correctly here, but I believe Stan Lee pronounces it "Mag-netto" and Roy Thomas "Mag-nee-to." I think Roy is right.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics