Friday, March 23, 2007

American trash

Someone, or no one, may be wondering about the lack of American movies among those I considered for my own selection for The Trashy Movie Celebration Blog-a-thon. Well, even if no one else did, I actually did.

Mind you, I did consider, but neglected to note, The Born Losers and possibly a couple of others.

But reflecting further, while I do find a refreshing originality of spirit, which undoubtedly on some occasions is merely my lack of familiarity with the cliches involved.

There's also a strong wave of mainstream rethinking over time. I'm not sure what I personally would say to add to the growing waves of praise heaped on the likes of Paul Bartel, Roger Corman, Abel Ferrara, Jack Hill, Russ Meyer, etc. or about Boxcar Bertha or Rolling Thunder to help the reputations of their makers.

Not that I'm discouraging those of you who may be interested in those as subjects and believe you have something to say.

Lord knows I'm an American and I grew up watching as much American trash as I could get my hands on. I hope my current - shall we call them Eurasian? - leanings are not reflected in all of the participants.

USA! USA! USA!

Err... Well, you get the picture.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

No biggie dude. Sounds like you got more going on inside that brain of yours regarding the States...more than just Stateside cinema.

American trash is black or white. You either dig it or you don't.

Neil said...

Thanks. I suppose I do have a lot going on in my brain about the US.

Honestly, a good lot of it is about American trash, because, frankly, I do indeed dig it. I don't think I would have made it through my childhood without it... or perhaps I'd have made it out of my childhood with a useful set of interests that would have allowed me to be a more productive member of society, but I don't care for that thought.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics