Monday, March 12, 2007

A couple of quick notes

I found 300: A half-serious discussion thoroughly enjoyable. For the record, despite some lazy comparisons, like the enemy being Semitic, no serious reading of 300 can see the U.S. as the Spartans and any or all of the Iraqi factions as Persia. If there's a comparison to be made - and most likely there is not - then the U.S. is, I'm sorry to say, Persia.

For the record, I also recognize that Frank Miller's book is as ridiculous and over-the-top as the movie. I just think it's also more than that in a way the movie fails to quite match.

I also very much appreciated All the Zodiac's Men, which says a lot of what I'd say about what is, in my opinion, easily David Fincher's best movie, if I'd gotten my thoughts sorted out and not merely spent the week being silently haunted by it.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics