Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Grindhouse idea


Now, it's no secret I'm excited for Grindhouse, although I'm probably in the minority in giving the edge, however slight, to the concept over the filmmakers in terms of why I'm interested.

One can assume that someone at The Weinstein Company, or A Band Apart or Troublemaker Studios or whoever, already has half a mind on how to capitalize on its success, should it succeed.

It's certainly not an easy kind of success to re-capture. As I've already suggested, a substantial part of the appeal to the general public is the filmmakers (or actors) rather than the concept, and the fact that they both chose to work in horror, a currently trendy market, makes the prospect of making a franchise a bit of a challenge on the surface.

Without name directors, any follow-up franchise is doomed to straight-to-video mediocrity. Not to mention that they would almost undoubtedly be relegated to huge genre limitations, in an attempt to match the formula of the original.

And yet, "Grindhouse", it's a catchy franchise name. With the right marketing it could really capture more people's imagination.

What about a TV show? An anthology on HBO or Showtime, like Masters of Horror?

Think about it. The short production run on something that could be put out as a fun lark could appeal to filmmakers who might not want to commit to a even a short feature for a co-bill. You could theoretically get enough names to generate some interest. Give the rest to promising newbies and such... and since you don't bog yourself down with a name like "Masters of Horror", no one complains about that... not to mention opening yourself up to people outside any specific genre associations.

Seriously, I know I'd rather see Rob Zombie make Werewolf Women of the SS than do a remake of Halloween. I suspect he'd rather be making something like that, all told. Obviously, commercial prospects, raising money and such play a huge part in the choices someone like that makes.

But at an hour a piece they'd be relatively cheap and easy. And even those of us who love this kind of thing, if we're honest, can admit that a good number of trashy movies would be even better cut to an hour - although some would also be better expanded to three hours, and others are magnificently perfect as is, of course. Keep the trailers. In fact, if someone wanted to go through the effort, they could run a continuing contest to get ones like these.

I could even forgive packing them in sets of two or three as "Double Features" or "Triple Bills" as a marketing device, instead of one big set.

I'm not saying it would work. Things that really ought to work, often don't, I know. But there's potential there. Someone should think about it, besides me, of course.


1 comment:

Piper said...

I like this idea. I was able to catch the Premiere in Austin on Wednesday. It's the concept that holds everything together. The movies are great, but aren't as great as the concept.

The funny thing is, is that I'm rethinking some old movies under the Grindhouse premise. For instance, Maximum Overdrive under the Grindhouse premise is suddenly genius. I can't believe I'm saying that and I doubt that Stephen King knew what he was on to, but I think I'm going to write another post about how some movies can have a second life under the Grindhouse concept.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics