Thursday, April 05, 2007

Pervert!


With The Trashy Movie Celebration Blog-a-thon beginning tomorrow... I expect to put up the host post - is that the right term? - before I go to be tonight... what better time for me to have finally seen Pervert!?

The moviemaker whose name Pervert! seems to inspire the most in comparison is Russ Meyer, and certainly it consciously replicates the qualities most fondly associated with Meyer's work, beautiful candy-colored color photography (he's one of the few moviemaker's whose black-and-white movies I "remember" in color) and enormous breasts. The moviemaker that it felt most like to me, however, is John Waters...

It has the same spirit. No trying to convince you of its reality, simply an infectious "Let's put on a show!" spirit that carries through. It's also no-holds-barred in being flat-out bug nuts, but with a goofy spirit that keeps you from taking any of its political incorrectness with anything but a grain of salt.

Most inspiring, the writer and director tell a wonderful story about having become very frustrated with trying to sell and finance their scripts and finally writing Pervert! more to amuse themselves, as a break from trying to please others, and it, obviously, became the script they finally got made.

2 comments:

Peter Nellhaus said...

I jumped the gun a bit and have already posted by blog-a-thon offering.

Steve said...

I got a screener of this last year from the filmmakers back when they were self-distributing. Enjoyed it very much, I did, and I'm happy to see that somebody's finally picked up the film for actual distribution.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics