Sunday, April 01, 2007

Random notes

Finalmente! announces the completion of Mario Bava: All the Colors of the Dark by Tim Lucas. I'm not sure where I'm going to come up with the money for this bit of glory, but I really need to.


Here's the uncut version of Eli Roth's Thanksgiving trailer for Grindhouse. And here's Get thee behind me, Eli from Windmills of My Mind.

Ok, here's Hostel Helmer Eli Roth Says Horror Should Have No Limits: 'It's All Fake' by Josh Horowitz. The key quote in question is "Hopefully we'll get to a point where there are absolutely no restrictions on any kind of violence in movies. I'd love to see us get to a point where you can go to theaters and see movies unrated and that people know its not real violence. It's all pretend. It's all fake. It's just acting. It's just magic tricks. Hopefully we'll get to a point where people realize movies don't cause violence. It just reflects the violence going on in the culture. I'd love to see us get to a point where you can make a movie and not worry about the limits of the violence. Then I think they'd get so violent that people would get bored of it."

I am ambivalent on Roth. He's thus far made a really funny comedy that turned into a rather tedious horror movie and a really obnoxious comedy that turned into a reasonably solid horror movie. If he ever puts those two elements together, I think he could make something worthwhile.

Here's The Way of Wes by Eric Kohn, which is brief interview with Wes Craven. This is the beginning of the most interesting quote, "I heard an interview with a music critic who was talking about jazz. He said that during the time of Coltrane and Miles, these guys were coming up with stuff that wasn’t technically perfect, but it was right out of their imaginations. Then, at a certain point, people were incredibly good players, but they were recirculating the same stuff. That can happen with anything—certainly with making genre films."

I don't know if anything I'm doing or saying is capturing this, but I'm bored of horror movies in general. If they weren't the only genre where people you can find moviemakers working "right out of their imaginations" like that with any regularity, even remains rare even there, then I'd give up on them as the largest part of my viewing diet without hesitation.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics