Sunday, June 17, 2007

Blood and iron


In more positive news, I saw Hellboy: Blood and Iron, which is my new favorite movie version of Hellboy. It tells a fairly simple story of an Elizabeth Báthory inspired vampire, high priestess of Hecate.

Along the way, it incorporates some wonderful Hammer Films-styled flashbacks, told in reverse order, as the creators note, mimicking Memento. If the movie has a significant flaw, it's that this segment is so much more successful, moodier and more intriguing, than the main storyline.

Finding the post It's Up to You by Tad Stones, only encourages me to spread the word about this movie. But I would have anyway, because it really feels like they've found a groove in capturing Mike Mignola's quirky little universe, dark and gothic, imaginative and funny. I hope we can look forward to more of these.

2 comments:

Becca said...

This was a really, really great movie. Excitingly I heard they are going to do a third animated movie for Cartoon Network. Can't wait to see whats next.

Neil Sarver said...

I hope so. I'd certainly like to see them continue this.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics