Saturday, June 02, 2007

Stuff


I haven't been writing here often enough. I'm sorry. I am trying to concentrate the limited writing energy I have to the scripts I'm working on. Not that I've been gathering as much as I'd like. I really wish I could arrange some kind of extended weekend at a secluded cabin.

Anyway, here's a few thoughts I've had but not gotten around to sharing...

John Carpenter's Pro-Life sucks! One may recall that I did not care for Carpenter's Cigarette Burns (the review is here), but it did fit somewhere in the "interesting failure" category, even if it was a rather spectacular failure at that. Pro-Life is inexhaustible in its awfulness.

Watching The Slaughterhouse Massacre a day later, I found myself feeling that Pro-Life may have been slightly less awful overall, but the most surprising thing was that it didn't actually look any better. But frankly, it's a story where the creators spend a long time defending the full realization of the Ron Perlman character as a man with a legitimate position, despite the fact that the movie itself demonstrates himself as someone who ignores what he believes to be the direct word of God to protect the life of his unborn grandson, so that he can waste time rather ridiculously sucking the guts out of a doctor at the abortion clinic.

I won't get into the other ridiculousness, maddeningly inconsistent demon gestation period, etc. It was a waste of my time watching the damn thing, I won't spend more writing about it. Suffice it to say, if given the choice, go with The Slaughterhouse Massacre, at least it's made by people who you don't have ample reason to expect more from.

Drive Thru by Brendan Cowles and Shane Kuhn is an occasionally amusing but frustrating little movie. It's too good in too many ways to just watch as garbage and make fun of, but not good enough to enjoy that much for what it is. The most gaping flaw is the timeline and cultural references. I don't know if the makers wrote it in 1989, intended it as a period piece set in 1989 or simply didn't know that time and culture had advanced in the those 18 years, but it would've been considerably better if it had been set in 1989.

Roman, directed by Angela Bettis and starring Lucky McKee is kind of a companion piece to May, directed by McKee and starring Bettis. I'm not sure I think it fails enough to be an "interesting failure", but it's certainly interesting. It also explores the nature of alienation and death. In fact, co-star Nectar Rose describes it pretty accurately as a movie about the grieving process. Unfortunately, it often plays like a student film with all the expected flaws and pretenses that go along with that.

I seem to be accidentally renting a lot of movies about grieving, which frankly I have enough of in my life right now, thank you very much.

My Dear Killer is an early giallo and toys with a much more traditional, parlor mystery style than most. I wish I could find the trailer online, as that does a wonderful job of capturing the strange blending. It's no masterpiece, but it's quite intriguing and fun, with a cast led by George Hilton in what may be one of his most interesting roles.

Landmark Embarcadero Q&A With Director Guillermo Del Toro is a wonderful, and spoiler rich, Q&A with Del Toro, who has many wonderful thoughts on fantasy ("The way I see fantasy is not a way to escape reality but to articulate reality.") and fairy tales, but most especially on children in stories and stories for children and our society's unhealthy attitudes toward them.

Get Those Boobs In Shape for the Workplace! by Erica C. Barnett is interesting and I certainly agree with her point. In fact, while I don't think it's fair, most women with large breasts already knew they were supposed to downplay them to look "professional", but I feel bad for the women with small breasts having this piled on them. I must say, though, aside from agreeing with the perspective of the original post, I'm quite offended by the male commenters who want to blame women for their sexual thoughts. Frankly, I've spent a lot of time putting myself and others in perspective that the amount of sexual thoughts men have is largely a product of hormones and not anything men or women can do anything about in themselves... only in how one outwardly responds to them... so putting the onus back on women to not give us boners at work is only opening the door for them to go back to blaming us for having them.

And, frankly, why do all articles like the one she links there assume that everyone works the same type of job in the same type of environment in the same part of the world and, as such, should logically all follow the same rules?

Finally, What was the greatest comic book artist's greatest legacy? by Alex Ness collects answers to that question from many prominent comic book figures. The best answer is given by Mike Grell.

Have fun, kids!


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics