Saturday, June 30, 2007

Thinking blogger, eh?


Well, according to Thinking Blogger Awards (My Choices) by Jeremy Richey, even this little corner of the blogging world makes one think. Frankly, if I knew this was a possibility, I might have put more effort into writing sentences that made sense.

1. If, and only if your blog is one that is tagged on my list below, you must write a post with links to five other blogs you like that consistently make you think (hence, the Thinking Blogger’s Award).

2. Link to this post so people will know whose good idea all this was. (see above)

3. Proudly display the "Thinking Blogger Award" logo with a link to the post you wrote.

Ok, first of all, like previous award recipient The Groovy Age of Horror, I make no demand that those I select follow any rules, but I also agree it's a damn fine opportunity to make note of some other blogs out there. (That was also partially, the beginning of a series of cheap links I'm going to give to various great blogs that aren't on my list.)

Cinebeats has gotten something like 100 of these things in the last week, so in order to keep her head from exploding, I'm going to not include her on mine. Comics Should Be Good has two great running features, Comic Book Urban Legends Revealed by Brian Cronin and Into the back issue box by Greg Burgas (with Cronin's new feature Comic Book Questions Answered gaining ground fast), and mostly a lot of griping and filler the rest of the time. Slog: The Stranger's Blog has a number of wonderful contributors, notably Messers Savage and Schmader, but also features the hateful and bitchy Mr. Ryan, so will be excluded.

I've run out of blogs that I have cheap excuses for not including. All other runners-up will simply have to assume that they were #6. Especially since many, many of the blogs I read - most included on my blog roll, but even now that needs updating - might have made the list I wrote a different week. I join my presenter in awarding mine in alphabetical order.
  • Coffee coffee and more coffee by Peter Nellhaus. Insightful reviews about a wide variety of movies, mostly from off the beaten track.
  • DISContent by Bill Cunningham. As an aspiring moviemaker, and one whose taste runs toward the "pulp filmmaking" aesthetic and likely into a career making DTV projects, I find the news and advice in this blog invaluable.
  • Johnny LaRue's Crane Shot by Marty McKee. Skeletons In A Tin Coffin, Marty's review of R.O.T.O.R. remains one of the funniest reviews I've ever read, as I've now pointed out at least once too often. As with all his reviews, it at once shows a depth of knowledge and a sense of fun. He loves "crappy movies" and old TV shows and shares all the details and history in a fun, loose and very informative manner.
  • news from me by Mark Evanier. Everything I know about blogging, I learned from Mark Evanier. Not all of you will consider that a good thing, I know. His was the first blog I read regularly, before there was such terms as "blog" or "blogosphere" or "blogging community". Perhaps I should have given this slot to someone not prominently featured on the Fantastic Four: Extended Edition DVD special features, but that wouldn't have been honest. Not only is it my first favorite blog, it's still almost impossible to beat for interesting tidbits, amusing anecdotes and just incredibly thoughtful insight into many aspects of the world, a few of which I wouldn't pay attention to if it weren't for this wonderful blog.
  • Worldweird Cinema. News and reviews of the strange and wonderful world of "low budget cinema gold". Some become things I must see. Some I'm just happy to know they exist out in the world. It always makes me happy to see whatever's posted there.

That's five! That's all I get! Fine.

I managed to avoid any blogs that I noticed got one of these, since they've been infecting the Great and Wonderful Land of Blog, but I can't say which of these I'd have sacrificed in order to include any of those deserving candidates.

Frankly, there's too many wonderful blogs out there, just among those that I read, to limit it to just five, thinking or otherwise...

4 comments:

Becca said...

Congrats! you certainly deserve one of these!

Marty McKee said...

Thanks for the props, Neil. (In my best Sammy Davis voice) Coming from you, babe, it's a real honor. And I mean that, I do.

Neil Sarver said...

Thanks, Becca. I'm not sure I entirely agree, but it was nice. I only wish I could have given out more awards. Your blog was definitely on the list of blogs I wanted to find room for.

My pleasure, Marty. I'm honored that it means something from me. Honestly, I never considered not including your for a second.

Curt Purcell said...

Congrats! And I'm glad you listed DISContent.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics