Thursday, July 05, 2007

I'm Captain fuckin' America!


This is my new moviemaking motto. It's kind of a long story how I got there, but suffice it to say it's a positive thing. A year off, spending a fair amount of that time wondering if was any good at this execution thing at all. The confidence, the real confidence and not just the brave face thing, was already bouncing back strong before the footage got back to me, but the footage itself has done a lot more.

I find myself not always unconcerned with getting the elements together into what I'm hoping for, but ultimately confident even with those sections.

There are things that don't work as well as I'd wanted, and simply never will. First movie and all, and frankly, I think it topped reasonable expectations, it just happens mine weren't all entirely reasonable.

I will say, without going into detail, rehashing old issues that no longer really matter, in every case where I was convinced by others to go against my instincts, I'm considerably less happy with the results.

This isn't a contradiction of my earlier, pro-collaboration posts. I think my instincts to bring people on board, cast people and to go with their suggestions were remarkably better than I'd have known prior to beginning, and I only want to expand that for the future.

But there are other things about which I frankly will not be trusting the judgement of others when it doesn't follow my instinct.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics