Thursday, August 23, 2007

Mondo Macabro

This is the (obnoxiously censored version of the) preview that Mondo Macabro includes, in some form (although never obnoxiously censored), on their DVDs.

I note this today as it includes clips from The Girl Slaves of Morgana Le Fay, on my list of nominees for best foreign language movie, as well as The Diabolical Doctor Z, which was on Cinebeats' list.

Mind you, I'm ambivilant about this approach. It mixes clips from other terrific movies such as Mill of the Stone Women and Don't Deliver Us From Evil right along with campy fare like For Y'ur Height Only as well as amazingly crappy looking things like Lady Terminator, seeming to paint them all with one brush.

That said, I'm amazingly glad they exist to put out all of the strange things, from great to just strange, that they do, and their packaging and extras are always first rate and keep very much in mind the merits of the movie contained on the DVD.

Not to mention, whatever the song they play is, it's one of the grooviest pieces of music I've ever heard, and whenever I put in one of their disks, I watch the preview at least four times...

4 comments:

ARBOGAST said...

That's funny... I always run the Mondo theme song, too... religiously! I do the same thing with SomethingWeird.

Neil Sarver said...

I really need to get a copy of that song as just a song... not that I'm complaining about the goofy gore and nude clip... at all! But sometimes I just want to set the groove.

I enjoy the Something Weird clip as well, quite a bit, but somehow not quite as much.

cinebeats said...

I love that Mondo music too! It's from the fantastic Bollywood film The Jewel Thief which I highly recommend checking out. It's one of my favorite Bollywood films. I've got the song somewhere and I'd be happy to send you a copy Neil.

You've reminded me that I didn't include any Bollywood films on my Favorite Foreign Films list which I feel really bad about. For some reason I totally forgot about musicals and I've been watching lots of great Hong Kong ones lately.

I'm going to have to rectify that soon and write about them.

Neil Sarver said...

I was told at some point that it was from The Jewel Thief, although I must admit I've not taken the opportunity to see the movie. Frankly I've been a bit intimidated to leap fully into Bollywood, although it is indeed on the agenda of things I know I should do - and honestly want to do.

I would absolutely love a copy of that song, however. I'm sure my neighbors and co-workers will also appreciate me playing it repeatedly at extraordinary volumes at whatever time and contexts.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics