Friday, August 03, 2007

My huckleberry friend


If I had made a list of "The 25 Movies I Haven’t Yet Seen That I Should Have Seen Already" last week, it would most likely have included Breakfast at Tiffany's by Blake Edwards. I suppose if I'd ever put any thought to it, I'd have realized it would be, but it somehow never occurred to me it would be as funny as it is.

Edwards says in the special features that George Peppard was not who he wanted for the lead, which is odd. Frankly, it's oddly subversive for a movie that the people involved on the DVD features seem to see the subversive elements almost as a lark or a hip joke. Included in that, for me, is how much Peppard with his blonde good looks and bare chest actually looks like a hustler.

Now, I should have known something was up when I was warned about it being "politically incorrect". No one warns me about old movies being "politically incorrect". It was, as most of you already know, a code for "extraordinarily racist"... certainly by that time. I'd need it to be at least 10 years older to give that performance the "politically incorrect" seal.

One element that, for me, works better today than it would have at the time is the song "Moon River". I'm always annoyed when a character in a movie, who isn't a songwriter or such, starts singing a song original to the movie. I don't know why. As it goes, however, "Moon River" has become something of a standard in years since, so it seemed to work in my mind.

That out of the way, it's very funny and sweet, and Peppard and Audrey Hepburn do indeed give performances as good as I've seen by either, which I mean as quite a compliment.

2 comments:

Jeremy Richey said...

Outside of Mickey Rooney (who makes me want to stick my head in an oven when he appears) I think this is a lovely film.
Audrey is extraordinary in it and even though it softened up Capote's novel, I still think it holds up.
"Moon River" is one of my favorite songs and I must admit that I tear up during that scene when Audrey sings it on her stoop...

Neil Sarver said...

I agree completely.

And I am, in fact, also a big fan of the song, as I've long been a huge Mancini dork.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics