Friday, September 28, 2007

Midnite Madness: Food of the Gods


In light of a post like Confessions of a Freaked-Out Young Shining Viewer by Ed Hardy, Jr., it's an interesting for my time to review H. G. Wells' Food of the Gods by Bert I. Gordon to arrive.

What does it have to do with H.G. Wells? Well, allegedly it's based on his novel The Food of the Gods: And How It Came to Earth, although that would be a kind assessment at best.

How does it relate to freaked-out young viewers? Well, Food of the Gods, it so happens, was the first movie I remember terrifying me. Not the first movie I remember scaring me. That'd be a trip to the theater to see Young Frankenstein when I was three.

Food of the Gods was a couple of years later and viewed on cable. It was the movie that kept me awake nights and look over my shoulders during the day, imagining giant insects everywhere.

Obviously, and sadly, the movie isn't anything close to as effective as an adult. Mind you, I still find the wasp attack in the beginning pretty effective, but there's nothing in the scenes that follow to come close to matching it. The acting is stilted, but you can tell it's largely a result of the writing and directing as even the great Ida Lupino struggles in places to make her weirdly written character work at all.

It's a rather cheesy affair and frankly not even the most laughable bit of '70s sci-fi horror cheese you could find out there, so aside from the dedicated cheese fans and Gordon fans, all of whom should already have seen it, quite frankly, I can't offer much of a recommendation.

However, it'll always have a special place in my memory, unaffected by its own genuine quality.

4 comments:

Jonathan Lapper said...

Apparently you're not alone:

Homer Simpson: Oh wow, I can't believe my first passenger is comedy legend Mel Brooks. You know that movie, Young Frankenstein? Scared the hell out of me!

Neil Sarver said...

Oh, well... what a relief!

Marty McKee said...

And Marjoe Gortner punches a giant chicken right IN THA FACE!

FOOD OF THE GODS is a hilariously stupid movie, but quite entertaining. Its pacing is very good, you gotta love that B-movie cast, and--surprisingly for a B.I.G. movie--the visual effects aren't half bad. Plus, you get to see some off-stage special effects guys blasting the shit out of some real rats. One may find this appalling or immensely entertaining, but certainly memorable.

Neil Sarver said...

Thanks for the reply. The pacing is indeed good and several of the effects are surprisingly good. I'm also quite fond of the rats attacking the VW Bug, despite that fact that I can totally spot the model at this point. It works. In fact, it seems oddly to start out much better than it ends up, which is weird and frustrating.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics