Saturday, November 24, 2007

Solomon Kane


I love Robert E. Howard, and I especially love the Solomon Kane stories.

As it goes, my ears can't help perk up when I read, in The First Poster for Solomon Kane by Jessica Barnes, that the long in-development movie version has preceded past casting and into a teaser poster. Of course, it's a teaser, so little can be gathered from the poster itself which is... fine... I guess. It's a little slick and corporate, but I'm not surprised by that at all.

I'm noting that the director is Michael J. Bassett, whose previous work, Deathwatch and Wilderness, I have yet to see. For whatever it's worth, Netflix predicts I will like them quite well... significantly more than most. I'll have to check them out.

I'll be curious to see how, regardless of everything else, they manage the character of N'Longa the witch doctor. It's frankly almost the trap of adaptation. He's a horrible racial stereotype and yet also easily the most likeable character in the stories. Both failing to update and failing to capture the character would be a significant disappointment to many.

For those who have no idea what I'm talking about, go pick up The Savage Tales of Solomon Kane and enjoy!


3 comments:

Emma said...

Hey, I love your blog! Wanna exchange links?

ARBOGAST said...

Neither DEATHWATCH or WILDERNESS satisfy, though both have bang-up lead-ins. DEATHWATCH has about 11 characters too many (you'll catch yourself wondering "Who just died?") and WILDERNESS... it has a lot going for it and some surprisingly merciless deaths but it doesn't really add up to anything new and exciting.

Neil Sarver said...

That's a bummer. I may still check them out, but it's a drag to hear... those are certainly the kinds of things I don't care for.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics