Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Tagged

I've been tagged by Marty McKee at Johnny LaRue's Crane Shot. I'm to do the following...

1) Pick up the nearest book.
2) Open to page 123.
3) Locate the fifth sentence.
4) Post the next three sentences on your blog and in so doing...
5) Tag five people, and acknowledge who tagged you.

I grabbed this before while at the library and, oddly, had no random book handy. There were, of course, books everywhere, but none next to me and any I grabbed would hardly have been random. Today, I have the book I am currently reading, Two For The Money by Max Allan Collins, "Because Werner's usual reaction would have been bitch bitch bitch. He was such a fucking pussy, anyway, always afraid somebody was after him, always bitching to Calder to make sure nobody got near the house. Such a big man, Werner."


I'm not going to tag anyone. Hell, who knows who is still popping by this little nook enough to catch my tag! Anyone interested in playing is invited, however, to pretend I tagged them. How is that?

Where have I been?

There are a number of explanations, all a little bit add up to something. The last year, by which I mean something like the 365 days that precede this one, rather than the year 2008, has been a particularly difficult one for me, with illness, death, a forced move under difficult circumstances, the loss of my job, etc. For the last while I've also been trying to get back to screenwriting, which always slows my blogging to one extent or another. My creative endeavors not only occupy much of my mind, they also occupy a great deal of how I view the movies I view. They become less something I ponder intellectually and more a part of the stew in my brain from which I draw ideas.

And with my current state of mind all of my has also been difficult.

I had, last year, been writing kind of fairy tale/noir/Eurotrash hybrid last year that I still quite like. It bogged down in its own complexity, not to mention my general realization that it wasn't a exceptionally saleable commodity and I'd be wise right now to take at least a step or two toward the middle of the road.

So, I've been struggling with that. I've moved to a cork board with 3x5 cards... a technique I've toyed with using previously, but never seriously. Thus far, it has helped me map out some of my story and what I need and some things I needed to get rid of. But it hasn't disciplined me to sit down and just do more typing.

I'll try to stop in more regularly in the future. I hope all of my circle of bloggers are well. Right now, I have a copy of Navajo Joe burning a hole in my pocket.

Have fun, kids!


2 comments:

Jonathan Lapper said...

Well I'm still stopping by. But I was tagged for this - three times, the third by Ari Arikan two days after I posted that I'd been tagged twice. This damn meme is everywhere! I think because it's so simple and easy to complete so no one's too bothered by it.

So what's the sixth, seventh and eighth sentences of your screenplay on page 123?

Neil Sarver said...

Unlike ever other amateur screenwriters I've known - or am aware of - I've never ever written a screenplay that made it past 120 pages. I am what Stephen King refers to in "On Writing" as a "putter-inner" (as opposed to a "taker-outer").

That said, I'm not nearly anywhere close to completing this one. Wherever it'll end up getting to. Trying to get a hang on it before I rush in.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics