Thursday, July 24, 2008

Japanese movie posters

I read Poles apart: The enigma of Polish movie posters by Richard Harland Smith a couple. It's a wonderful celebration of those posters. I, like Richard and others have run into these in various places, as he notes Ed Hardy, Jr. runs a Polish Poster of the Moment (formerly "of the Week") segment and I have seen them displayed and celebrated in other places.

And rightly so. They are fascinating and surreal masterpieces. You should check out the links I've provided and give them a look.

But I must say, my foreign poster allegiance remains with the Japanese.

From this classic image for The Hidden Fortress...


To this King Kong vs. Godzilla delight.



Just look at the action. You can't tell me you don't want to see that movie more than you did five minutes ago, unless you want me to be sure there's something wrong with you.

Frankly, even the posters that just use an American poster as the basis, and, as I don't like 90% of American movie posters these days, I find them less exciting. But they find a way to even make those more interesting. The way the lettering always crosses the images, like violent graffiti thrashing out to tell you the information, even if you, like I, can't read them.

And, yes, I have a special place in my heart for the Pinky Violence posters, such as this one for Girl Boss Guerilla.


Or this one for Terrifying Girl's High School: Lynch Law Classroom.



It's not even just the nudity and the violence. It's the attitude!

4 comments:

ARBOGAST said...

Painted boobs get my ass into the seat every time.

Neil Sarver said...

I'm with you on that for sure.

Ed Hardy, Jr. said...

You bastard. Now you're gonna make me choose between Polish posters, for which (obviously) I have a special place in my heart, and Japanese posters--a culture whose entire film history is like a fetish to me... I won't do it, I tell you! I won't!

Neil Sarver said...

Oh, I'd never do that to a guy. They're both fun and compelling, which is what's all too often lacking from US poster (and DVD) art these days.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics