Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Posse

A further brief interlude into nostalgia for the Seattle that is no more.

In 1988, white kids in Snohomish County, where I grew up, could only admit to liking two rap songs. This was a spoken rule. I'm the Man by Anthrax, the other was this:



Posse on Broadway by Sir Mix-a-Lot.

That Taco Bell closed about a year ago, for what it's worth. Dick's Drive-In is one of the still existing things - as opposed to people, obviously - in Seattle that I expect to miss in times ahead. It's actually, last I heard, about the only place to get fast food in the neighborhood, which I think is bizarre. For what it's worth, most of the time I've written this blog, I lived about a block for said burger stand.

And here's Jonathan Coulton in Austin. For better or worse, this is probably closer to who I am today.



Ok, closer to what I always was. I was never had a def posse. I don't even think I ever had a bunch of dudes. But I've grown up to stop imagining I might be something different than I am.

Which isn't to say what I am isn't as good or that I'm not going to rock what I am as hard as I can...

1 comment:

Neil Sarver said...

For the record, I know tossing Jonathan Coulton, who is not an Austin artist, in that slot just because he happens to be in Austin in the video, is a major cheat that I used entirely for my own rhetorical purposes and to sneak in a Mix-a-Lot cover in with the Mix-a-Lot video. What can you do?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics