Sunday, September 28, 2008

Thor news


Kenneth Branagh in talks to direct Thor by Michael Fleming.

I'm not sure how I feel about that. I like Branaugh, but then his history with genre movies isn't so sure.

But then who better than someone with a handle on Shakespeare to take on Stan Lee and Jack Kirby's interpretation of the Norse thunder god?

I notice that Nick Cassavetes is no longer credited as director on the IMDb Captain America page. I've been hearing Will Smith bounced around as star. I'm not sure that works for me... not a black Cap, although I'm sure that's getting plenty of play in geek circles...

Obviously The Tuskegee Airmen, Miracle at St. Anna and Truth: Red, White & Black, among many other media tellings of the history, remind us that blacks fought prominently in World War II, so I can work out a version of that in my head.

... but Will Smith seems too modern for me, and a mainstream action movie with him as the star seems likely to try to use his persona to its "advantage", which seems to make it more likely they'll try to update it.

And all I know with that is, that if the first Cap movie doesn't take place in World War II, the director, star, the buzz, the press, none of that will mean shit. I ain't going!


2 comments:

EVIL CLOWN said...

Branagh as director? I'm kind of with you. Not sure how I feel about it.

Will Smith destroys a movie because Will Smith for the most part is bigger than the movie itself. His personality almost directs the part. It would be all sassy and smart-assy. Not for me.

Neil Sarver said...

I'm not sure how I feel about Branaugh either. I can see it working, though... I can also see it not working, mind you, but I like staying cautiously optimistic on it.

On Will Smith, that's exactly it. He does actually have some acting chops, when he chooses to use them, but I can't imagine Captain America being a project he'd choose to go all out for. Not to mention that even if he stretched to play a period character in the Cap movie, I see him having an even bigger struggle trying to maintain that old fashioned sensibility in The Avengers when his character is brought into the present.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics