Thursday, October 02, 2008

Like a silver-studded sabre-tooth dream



I think this is my favorite T. Rex song. I might say different tomorrow, though, were it to come up. Who knows?

On a related matter, the more well-known Get It On (Bang a Gong), I've always assumed that one needed to be as good-looking as Marc Bolan to get a line like "You're built like a car..." to work for them. I think I'd get a blank stare on a really, really good day. Yes, even if I went to explain, "You've got a hub cap diamond star halo."

Probably even more so.

I remember having a discussion with the original record, compared with the then popular cover by Power Station, with a girl in my art class when I was about fourteen. She was that kind of hipster faux punk that teenage girls often go through a stage of before deciding if they'll go all the way with that or drop into some other more singularly recognizable subcategory or drop the rebellious thing altogether... I don't recall what she did. Honestly, I don't remember if she continued going to school with me. I had a mad, mad crush on one of her best friends at that time... and ran into her at a Denny's four or five years later and having to explain, with some help from her friend (who I had a smaller crush on later in high school), who I was... It was not one of my happier moments.

But back to the point, such as it is...

I remember she was very dismissive of the T. Rex, and I remember even then knowing that as a heterosexual girl of her type, that wouldn't last. She was the exact type that retro crushes on Marc Bolan were invented to service.

Carrying that through, I was never sure why Power Station continued after Robert Palmer left. Nothing against Michael Des Barres exactly, but their entire sound, such as it was, seemed built around Palmer's voice. Anything else seemed like a wholly different band...

Like Bad Company without Paul Rodgers... or Queen with him, for that matter...


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics