Monday, November 10, 2008

Gun monkeys


I was checking out the new edition of The Hunter by Richard Stark, which if you don't have a copy of, you should seriously take this opportunity to get rectify this, at BookPeople the other day, and one of the employees comes over and we start talking about Parker, Point Blank and various related awesomeness.

At this point he asks if I've read Gun Monkeys by Victor Gischler.

And I say, "Victor Gischler? You mean the author of the wonderfully entertaining Go-Go Girls of the Apocalypse that all the good kids out there should be reading?"

And he replies that indeed it is the same fellow.

I responded that while I was properly delighted, as one might note, with "Go-Go Girls of the Apocalypse", I had still not gotten around to reading Gischler's earlier crime novels.

So, I purchased "Gun Monkeys" and also read it.

I think Elmore Leonard might be a closer comparison than Richard Stark, but then that's not a bad thing.

The protagonist, workaday criminal Charlie Swift, is sufficiently tough, the plotting is sufficiently filled with twists and turns and the writing is filled with quirky and imaginative bits.

You can probably tell I'm less thrilled with "Gun Monkeys" than I had been with "Go-Go Girls of the Apocalypse", but that's probably unfair. I am more than pleased enough that I will be picking up more Gischler and devouring them.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics