Saturday, November 22, 2008

Musical notes


Fleetwood Mac's Rumours gets extra mileage off it's well-known drama, right? I mean, "Go Your Own Way" is a catchy, catchy hit, but if it weren't for Lindsey Buckingham getting Stevie Nicks to sing background on snotty breakup lines about herself, it wouldn't rank overly high in the list of snotty breakup songs... although it probably would still rank among catchy, catchy hits, so whatever.

The other day, I heard a random crappy DJ - Are there any other kind left? - commenting on Chinese Democracy by Guns N' Roses. He was a fan of Appetite for Destruction and was disappointed that the new album did not reflect that sound.

Now, I'm not a fan. I never have been. Yes, even at the time, and that time was when I was young, fresh-faced and still listening to the same music as the other kids.

But even I knew that Axl Rose was the reason they got even shittier.

I can dig the musical sound of "Appetite for Destruction". I just can't cope with Axl's crappy little shredded up whine of a voice.

But I knew that Use Your Illusion and The Spaghetti Incident? were Axl's direction, and I knew that, along with personal reasons, that direction was part of the breakup of the band.

Because that direction is outrageously awful!

Now, too many people I respect dig "Appetite for Destruction" for me to bitch too heavily on that, and, as I said, I can dig the musical sound, but anything after that is awful, awful, awful. If you're still listening to that as a grown-up, you need to wash your ears out with turpentine. For the sake of all that's good, get some goddamn taste!

Maybe Velvet Revolver hasn't ever become what it could have been, but at least it's listenable.

Oh, that rant took far longer than I intended.

Suffice to say, Axl Rose is a nasty evil little troll and a no-talent hack and you all should stop giving him money.

In more pleasant news, my friend Jo recently passed me in the direction of Lady Dottie & the Diamonds. Enjoy!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics