Saturday, November 22, 2008

Watchmen


I think I may have become a little complacent in my acceptance that the new Watchmen movie might be pretty cool, but the second trailer, which everyone else seems to find promising has the word "watchmen" tossed around pretty casually.

The second use sounds like it could be right. The first use, by Rorschach, however, is pretty hard to hear as anything but a use of "Watchmen" as synonymous with "Justice League" or "Fantastic Four". The synonymous terms within Watchmen are "The Minutemen" and "The Crime Busters".

The title "Watchmen" refers to the phrase "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?", which is written in the most common translation "Who watches the watchmen?" on the walls here and there around the comic book, although never seen completely.

If this turns out to be a continuing concern, it could certainly be a factor that will keep me from going the first week or two, at least until I'm aware of the level to which this is used.

But really, I know I'm a nitpicker, but I'm the guy who has to hold back a furious screaming rant every time someone says "The Watchmen" (see Definite articles are for the weak!, so this could turn out to be a deal breaker for me.


UPDATE: By which I mean, "Er, yeah, what he said."

And by "he", I mean Chris Stangl.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics