Sunday, December 07, 2008

Kid Rock hates America


In some kind of web surfing expedition recently, I was reminded of comments Kid Rock made around the time of the election:

"I truly believe that people like myself, who are in a position of entertainers in the limelight, should keep their mouth shut on politics, because at the end of the day I'm good at writing songs and singing. What I'm not educated in is the field of political science. And so for me to be sharing my views and influencing people of who I think they should be voting for ... I think would be very irresponsible on my part. I think celebrity endorsements hurt politicians. As soon as somebody comes out for a politician, especially in Hollywood, when they all go, 'I'm voting for this guy!' – I go, 'That's not who I'm voting for!'"

I know, he since came out and congratulated presumptive President-elect Barack Obama and offered his support, which seems to directly contradict the intention of these comments, although I'm sure he'll argue why supporting the president and supporting a candidate are different, and I suppose that's not untrue.

The thing that always puzzles me about the point of view that celebrities should somehow keep quiet about their political views, here explicitly expressing the notion that they are not educated in the field of political science, is that it is almost always expressed by Republicans.

Not Conservatives, but the creepy Palin supporter kind.

And what is it that Palin repeated over and over? Oh, yeah, she's against "elitist" and "elitism", when asked to define these terms, she didn't understand what they mean, and defined it so broadly that it was describe nearly every human being walking the earth. That was pretty awesome!

But really. The point of view that people who are not educated specifically in the field of political science shouldn't be allowed to speak their opinions could be used as a definition of elitism. Kid Rock can stand up and be the poster child of elitists.

You see, America is a democracy. That's government "of the people, by the people, for the people."

I didn't make that phrase up, hence the quotation marks. Some Republican said that once.

Of course we actually live in republic, in which representatives are selected by election to draft legislation and argue in favor of the beliefs they understand the people to have sent them to represent. In the course of that, we the people do, however, expect them to listen to us, the people.

Anyone who argues against another citizen giving voice to their opinion is an enemy of America's most basic values. The fact that one has to use their own voice, and in this case pulpit, in order to speak out against another citizen giving voice to their opinion makes them also a hypocrite.

Weirder still is the fact that he is a Republican at all.

Look, I'm an old man. While I think the Iraq War was a mistake, and did from the beginning, I'm not a knee-jerk pacifist. I don't think the government should be responsible for every problem that takes place within it. A sane Republican party could give me pause before I voted.

But I can't and I never will.

Why? Because the Republican Party is the party of an FCC that fines broadcasters for a wide field of problems. They are the anti-gay party. They are the party of Conservative Christianity and its most deplorable form, theocracy. They are the party that works against the very freedoms that hedonistic stripper celebrating rap-rock performer makes his living and lifestyle based on.

And, to me, that's unacceptable.

I have enough trouble justifying my votes for Democrats, as they're so morally weak when it comes to those issues and tend to let the Republicans ride right over them.

But my vote has to go somewhere and it will never, ever fucking ever go to a social conservative. I wouldn't even shake the hand of a socially conservative candidate.

Mind you, I don't care one whit what you expect from yourself and your loved ones in terms of behavior, language, sexual behavior, etc. But the second you think that my United States of America or any part of it should have and enforce laws regarding mine and that of my fellow citizens, then I have no respect, no common ground, nothing at all to offer. I spit on their shoes... at least metaphorically.

So, how Kid Rock finds himself able to ignore that, I'm not able to comprehend. Of course, when one's hypocrisy knows no boundaries, it must be easy to ignore it in others.

Yes, I'm sorry. I know. No more politics for a while. I just needed to get this one off my chest.

4 comments:

r_sail said...

I just can't get past the bit about being 'educated'... or how that's got fuck all to do with having an opinion, when, like, most American's who vote aren't 'educated' in political science, either.

I just fail to see how that's at all important. Then again, I fail to see how Kid Rock's at all important.

Neil Sarver said...

Then again, I fail to see how Kid Rock's at all important.

That's undoubtedly the most important thing of all, but I'd remembered reading that and it bugging me, then I read it again and it bugged me again, and I just had to get that shit out of my system!

KentAllard said...

Nicely said. I've always thought anyone, even the well-known, had the right to express their opinion about anything, from politics to religion, and it was our decision to listen to or disregard them. And the ant-elitism business has always puzzled me. My boss actually told me he was voting this year for the dumber candidate in each race, since "smart people have screwed things up." If he was alone in that kind of thinking, it would be funny. Down here in the South, the Social Conservative is the dominant species, which gives us government that would freak out Kafka.

Neil Sarver said...

Thanks.

I never understand the rejection of "smart people" running things. It always seems a lot better than having dumb people. Even in cases where I might disagree with those smart people, at least I know they thought about it. Disagreement is part of democracy.

And, yeah, like I say. I don't care what your religion tells you to do or not do. I have my own personal beliefs that tell me what I think I should and shouldn't do, but I'm also an American, so I don't think the government or anyone else should get involved in making you not do what I don't like. It pisses me off that these people claim to be better Americans than people like me and seem largely to get away with it, because they're not. They are almost definitively lesser Americans.

*sigh*

Oh, well... I'm trying to move on to good ol' pop culture. I'm trying really hard!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics