Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Let the right one in


I hate the title of Let the Right One In.

In Let the Right One In reviewed, Tim Lucas explains that the title is taken from a Morrissey song. That only makes me like it less. Yes, I understand how the lyrics, as quoted, resonate with the material, so I see why John Ajvide Lindqvist, the author of Let the Right One In, the novel upon which this movie is based, used it. In fact, it probably has a more novelistic quality.

But I know I got an email asking if I wanted to see it, and despite the fact that I had heard good things and did want to see it, my first reaction reading the title was, "No! Have you met me?" Then I placed it and, of course, did want to go... and did go. And thankfully, because I love the movie itself.

I love it in that way that makes it hard to write about, especially since so much of what is so wonderful is so purely cinematic. It's a moody and beautiful, creepy and fascinating. It's frankly one of the best new movies I've seen in a long while. I'll leave it at that.

3 comments:

Jonathan Lapper said...

I hate the title of this post.

Sorry, I saw the opportunity and I took it.

r_sail said...

A fantastic movie. The atmosphere of it all was wonderful. I suppose my Scandinavian background plays a part in my enjoyment of the setting, but, regardless of that, it's a wonderful movie.

They're, of course, already working on the remake for America. Which will eclipse this getting the attention it deserves, but I'll sing it's praises continually.

I mean, it's got this understated quality to it that helps, but child actors not completely sucking? That's fucking monumental. Regardless of the understated nature.

Just a wonderful film. Did I say that? Can I say that enough times?

Oh and, I don't hate the title, but it's not the greatest.

Neil Sarver said...

Jonathan,
Of course you do. And of course you did.

Sail,
I suspect my Scandinavian background affected my take on it. Having grown up around people from the old country and such, the types were specifically familiar... and the way the distances between people were demonstrated.

But I think it was great as a whole, as well. The emotions and attempts at connection remain universal. And the performances by the children don't just not suck, they're brilliant... and incredibly subtle. The kind of great Americans fail to appreciate too often.

And I tried not to think about the alleged American remake, but then someone pointed out the scene where she climbs in bed with him and that an American version will have to make that less sexual (read: entirely lacking in any sexuality) or make them older and make it more sexual. Either of those would strip the scene of all of its truth and beauty.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics