Monday, December 29, 2008

Once upon a time...

I also know Wade Bradford. He's Tucker in this movie:



I confess that I'd only just now noticed that his movie Cowboys and Idiots is posted and I'll need to watch them all soon. I previously praised his novel Enjoy Your Show, which seems to no longer be in my archive, but I do still have a review up on the Amazon page that I linked.

Now, I went to high school with Wade. I'm quite pleased to have gotten back in touch with him in recent years, even if I'm as crappy keeping up that relationship as I am all of the others I have out there. He's one of a small number of people I went to high school that I am, or am interested in, having ties to.

Which isn't to say that few whose lives I'm interested in peeking in on. Over the years, I've occasionally Googled various people... in fact, that's how I found Wade's book actually.

I also used to peek in at MySpace. Now, at the time I was in high school, I'd have said I knew by name and face every member of my class, and yet there, for the longest time, I recognized exactly no one. Statistically odd, to say the least. Then the only people who showed up were a couple of people I most definitely didn't want to talk to...

... and here I should say, the reasons for those things, which I have no special interest in boring you with, in most cases, have much more to do with me and my failings than theirs....

... so along comes the Facebook. Now, on there I totally recognize the majority of people, by name and by face. Wade aside, however, there's only one person I note that I'd be especially interested in having a conversation with, but several others I'd have no difficulty smiling and chatting with at the supermarket... if I still lived in the neighborhood, that is.

All told, I suppose that's actually statistically remarkable. There are 100 people listed - although I think Wade is not among those who lists school - as being there and 2 I'd have some interest in talking to. That's probably a lot higher than the overall percent, but I could be forgetting a person or two who could interest me more than I know. I am terribly old, leaving high school a lifetime ago.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics