Saturday, December 27, 2008

Professor Kingsfield's winter quiz

I think I missed or skipped the last couple of rounds of tests, so it's just like my real school days, but here are my answers from Professor Kingsfield's Hair-Raising, Bar-Raising Holiday Movie Quiz.

1) What was the last movie you saw theatrically? On DVD or Blu-ray?

Slumdog Millionaire by Danny Boyle. Stuck by Stuart Gordon.

2) Holiday movies— Do you like them naughty or nice?

Like my ladies, both.

No, but seriously, this is like asking if I like my movies good or entertaining.

3) Ida Lupino or Mercedes McCambridge?

Ida Lupino.

4) Favorite actor/character from Twin Peaks.


Jack Nance.

I mean, Miguel Ferrer.

Or maybe Michael J. Anderson.

Or Sherilyn Fenn.

This is tough.

5) It's been said that, rather than remaking beloved, respected films, Hollywood should concentrate more on righting the wrongs of the past and tinker more with films that didn't work so well the first time. Pretending for a moment that movies are made in an economic vacuum, name a good candidate for a remake based on this criterion.

I've argued this myself, but I'm not sure I'm always entirely convinced.

As it goes, I really like Shock Waves, but I imagine it could be improved on.


6) Favorite Spike Lee joint.

Malcolm X.

I need to remember that next time I get tempted to get excitable about how much I hate biopics and think every insufferable bastard who makes them should be garroted.

But I probably won't.

7) Lawrence Tierney or Scott Brady?

Lawrence Tierney

8) Are most movies too long?

Most movies I don't like are, but I'll agree the trend toward allowing directors (I'm looking at you Nolan and Apatow) not trim down to a better pace is troubling.

9) Favorite performance by an actor portraying a real-life politician.

I keep waiting for something obvious to pop into my head, but I seem to be blanking.

10) Create the main event card for the ultimate giant movie monster smackdown.

Godzilla vs. Cthulhu.

Yes, there is a Call of Cthulhu movie and everyone should make the effort to see it.


11) Jean Peters or Sheree North?

Sheree North.

12) Why would you ever want or need to see a movie more than once?

Just one reason? Because one forgot the events seems the most obvious one, but my no means the only one.

13) Favorite road movie.

Highway 61.


14) Favorite Budd Boetticher picture.

It seems I've not seen one.

15) Who is the one person, living or dead, famous or unknown, who most informed or encouraged your appreciation of movies?

[This had no answer. In theory, I'm still pondering it, but I'm guessing I'll simply lose credit.]

16) Favorite opening credit sequence. (Please include YouTube link if possible.)

Female Prisoner Scorpion: Beast Stable. It's the first of the two credit sequences on this video:



17) Kenneth Tobey or John Agar?

Kenneth Tobey.

18) Jean-Luc Godard once suggested that the more popular the movie, the less likely it was that it was a good movie. Is he right or just cranky? Cite the best evidence one way or the other.

I'm not sure being right in itself proves that he's not cranky or even just cranky.

I'd say the the more popular a movie is, the less likely it is that it's great. It's reasonably likely to be good, just not in a way that's worth examining further.

19) Favorite Jonathan Demme movie.

Melvin and Howard.

20) Tatum O'Neal or Linda Blair?

Linda Blair.


21) Favorite use of irony in a movie. (This could be an idea, moment, scene, or an entire film.)

A Clockwork Orange.

22) Favorite Claude Chabrol film.

Madame Bovary.

That's not an overly informed opinion, however.

23) The best movie of the year to which very little attention seems to have been paid.

Well, Let the Right One In is the best movie I've seen this year, and its gotten some attention in some circles, but probably not enough.


24) Dennis Christopher or Robby Benson?

Dennis Christopher.

25) Favorite movie about journalism.

His Girl Friday.

26) What's the DVD commentary you'd most like to hear? Who would be on the audio track?

Paul Bartel on Death Race 2000 would have been nice.

But most of all, John Huston for... anything. Obviously Treasure of Sierra Madre, The African Queen or The Dead would be amazing, but so would The Bible or Annie... or someone else's movie or anything at all involving listening to John Huston just talking.

27) Favorite movie directed by Clint Eastwood.

Unforgiven.

28) Paul Dooley or Kurtwood Smith?

Kurtwood Smith, but not without a certain reluctance.


29) Your clairvoyant moment: Make a prediction about the Oscar season.

That I'll continue my recent streak of ignoring them.

30) Your hope for the movies in 2009.

Same hope as every year, hours of entertainment.

31) What's your top 10 of 2008? (If you have a blog and have your list posted, please feel free to leave a link to the post.)

I have no list yet, and don't feel prepared to make one.

I think it's unlikely Let the Right One In will be knocked from the top spot, however. I also doubt Slumdog Millionaire or JCVD will be knocked off the list entirely.

BONUS QUESTION (to be answered after December 25):

32) What was your favorite movie-related Christmas gift that you received this year?


Plush Jason Voorhees from Friday the 13th Part II.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics