Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Wild things

Thanks to Elisabeth Fies for putting me on the path to Wild things: 16 films featuring Manic Pixie Dream Girls by Donna Bowman, Amelie Gillette, Steven Hyden, Noel Murray, Leonard Pierce, Nathan Rabin.

I think some of these definitely don't qualify if one assumes that the archetype is "largely defined by secondary status and lack of an inner life", which I think says more about the definition than the list itself. And while I am a fan of some of these movies, and specifically some of the characters, I can't say I'm that fond of the archetype, especially as time wears on and people use it more obviously and tritely, it seems like I'm less interested in the movies and their versions.


For instance, I remain baffled by Garden State. There are many people I respect who were really moved by that movie, and I have no idea why. There are movies that I hated that I have a better understanding what people got from them that I do that movie.

2 comments:

Kid Sis said...

Yeah, if Holly counts then cheese and crackers, annoying Amelie HAS to count...

Neil Sarver said...

Excellent point!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics