Saturday, January 17, 2009

Crooked little vein


I like Warren Ellis, or at least his work. I occasionally love it, but not usually. I do love the idea of it, but somehow I imagine that I love what he's trying for and I enjoy seeing the effort.

So, I was more than a little intrigued by Crooked Little Vein, his hard-boiled, political thriller, travelogue across the landscape of American filth. And I find myself in much the same position as always. I like it, but I want to love it.

Unfortunately, it's just good enough to make me wish it was better. It's just smart enough to make me wish it was smarter. It's just subversive enough to make me wish it was more subversive. It's just transgressive enough to make me wish it were more transgressive. It's just close enough to being right to make me wish it was altogether right.

But then may it knows what it's doing. Maybe it's not for me, maybe it's the starter course, the book for those who haven't ever thought these things before, the book for people who've never heard or read anyone suggest that maybe under the right circumstances, with the right person and the right animal, bestiality maybe isn't so wrong.

Not that I think everyone - or even anyone - should buy the argument, but I do think people should be exposed to it and ideas like it, some more offensive, some less, and for them, I'm sure this would be an interesting pool to wade in and see what other ideas exist in this great big beautiful and strange world that this is.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics