Monday, January 26, 2009

Dardo winner?


I'm told that if you read Dardo Arigato by Marty McKee, you'll see that I've won a Dardo, which, I'm again told represents "excellence in blogging and offered in recognition of cultural, ethical, literary and personal values transmitted in the form of creative and original writing."

Like Marty, I'm certainly unsure I deserve this, but thank you for saying so.

It also seems I am supposed to award five others, and I don't have the time/energy to dedicate to prune down that list, figuring out who already got one while my back was turned, etc. Hopefully I will soon, and hopefully a few of my potential choices will be awarded in the meantime, so I'll have a less crowded field. Already having Johnny LaRue's Crane Shot off the list makes my job a lot easier, since it would be a given.

Which brings me to why I am actually writing, since it's also not to crow my own supposed excellence.

I have to say that this award actually did feel good, in a way that not all of these do, and that was in large part due to the fact that it was Marty McKee who gave it to me. In the course of my real world life, I get presented as the guy who knows a lot about movies, and I usually respond with kind of a casual shrug that I think often comes across as false humility. I don't mean it falsely. I know there are guys like Marty in the world who know the world past me.

The fact that he's also able to write entertaining, considered, funny and concise reviews of all of these movies - Don't believe me? Go check Marty's Marquee! - puts me and my long-winded and rambling thoughts to shame.

So sometimes these peer awards just feel like something that crept up eventually more because of attrition than merit, but this one does actually mean a lot to me.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics