Monday, January 26, 2009

Diets and art


There's some kind of food that I essentially will not eat.

Say, some salad made with raw tomatoes, avocado and fish, I'd think. I would starve very nearly to death before I'd even seriously considering eating it. It precedes eating my friend, as he lay dying. And even then I'd be thinking, "Mmmm... Long pork!"

On the other hand, if I was stuck around and hungry and all there was to eat was a loaf of Wonder Bread, some mayonnaise and bologna, I'd eat it before I got particularly uncomfortable. If I was expecting someone to show up with barbecue, I could certainly hold off, but, basically. Whatever.

Now, if you come to me and say, "Goddamn! I had this salad with fish and avocado and tomato. It's the best thing I've ever eaten, I may never eat another dish in my whole life!", I'd shrug and say, "Different strokes, I guess."

But if you came and said, "Dude! Bologna and mayo on Wonder Bread! That's my favorite thing in the whole wide world! It's a huge yum-yum-festival in my mouth!", I'd look at you like you were insane.

I mention this because I've now met people really, really into mainstream Hollywood movies of the twenty-aughts. I have literally no context within which to relate or discuss. It's pure madness.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics