Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Little girl lost


First of all, I have to say, this is my least favorite all-time Robert McGinnis cover. I don't mean disrespect, he's seriously one of my favorite cover artists. This painting seems awkward all around, the face seems off, the perspective, everything... I just can't quite get to like it.

That might actually make it a completely appropriate cover for Little Girl Lost by Richard Aleas, which I'm similarly troubled by.

The twist is a little too obvious a little too early, which in some cases would have made me frustrated with the protagonists for not also working it out, but here the characters are well-drawn enough to make that work. I was still frustrated with the writer, however.

And I must say the ending itself, not the final moment, but the climax, reminded me a bit too much of another, very famous hard boiled ending, so that was a disappointment overall.

On the other hand, the characters are remarkably vivid and real, so I can't keep myself from wanting to think it was marvelous and shout it from the rooftops.

As it goes, I'll definitely read the follow-up, Songs of Innocence, and hope that it is the one which deserves to get crowed about without reservation.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics