Monday, January 12, 2009

Look at me


I read an interview with Woody Allen once where he said that in his mind he's a writer who works as a director so that he can make sure his screenplays get turned into the movie that he wants it to be. He probably phrased it less awkwardly.

Martin Scorsese, on the other hand, has 13 writing credits on IMDb, three of which are shorts, three of which are documentaries, and one of which is only announced and does not have finalized writing credits. That is compared to 47 movies on which he is credited as a director. 28% of his movies have writing credits for him.

My understanding is that in the case of The Last Temptation of Christ, at least, he had made some effort to get a credit for his efforts in writing the screenplay, but lost the judgment by the WGA.

The point remains. If Woody Allen is a writer who makes movies, Martin Scorsese is a moviemaker who writers.

What I don't know is what I am.

It's not an idle pondering. At various times, pondering this kind of question entirely in the abstract has been amusing.

Now I think I am standing on a crossroads and either path would be made more difficult by not making the choice. It probably has always been true, but now it's obviously true. I'm sure painfully obvious, if it's even obvious to me.

Yes, somewhere down the road I can make a new decision. But that road gets shorter and shorter, let's admit.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics