Sunday, January 11, 2009

Put your back into it, sweetheart!


Before I say anything else about Weird Wednesday: Chained Heat w/ Sybil Danning!, allow me to take on moment to note that John Vernon is totally awesome!

I'm sure you know that, but it's always worth repeating.


It was cool to meet Sybil Danning. She was very charming and funny. I liked her a lot. I do have to say, however, that in my mind she's eight-feet tall, and she's actually five-foot-four in heels. That was rather striking.

Chained Heat? Same as it ever was. It's a movie that knows what it is. It's fun and trashy and doesn't leave a bad taste in my mouth, most especially because of actors like Vernon, Danning and Stella Stevens, who seem to be having a really good time.

Linda Blair does not seem so, and while that is the part, Danning did seem to confirm that she didn't think she wanted to be there. Interesting, as her interview on the new Savage Streets DVD, which she made next (and also features a scene chewing performance by Vernon), shows her reasonably enthusiastic for a movie of pretty equal trash value... although one I personally prefer.

I can't say anything specific stands out, from her talk. She was starstruck meeting Richard Burton and Charlton Heston. That was amusing. Here's the Q&A she did after Howling II the previous night.

6 comments:

Marty McKee said...

John Vernon = badass, for sure. I love that long scene he has with Woodrow Parfrey by the pasture in CHARLEY VARRICK.

Just curious...when screened theatrically, how many times does the CHAINED HEAT boom mike make an appearance?

Neil Sarver said...

Charley Varrick is awesome.

I didn't notice the boom mike, but maybe I'm probably bad at spotting them... or maybe the projectionist knew to frame low. I don't know.

TheGreatWhiteDope said...

Anyone who has come into speaking distance with Sybil Danning has my undying respect.

And as far as John Vernon goes, He'll always be Dean Wormer to me - or at least Rico Parra.

Great story. Keep it up.

-TGWD

Neil Sarver said...

Well, thank you very much.

Yes, Dean Wormer is a classic characterization.

Thanks for stopping in.

Anonymous said...

found this link offa a review of 'monster'.....what's the connection?....i'm scared just thinking about it!

Neil Sarver said...

That blogger reads my blog? I read their blog? How the hell should I know? Why does this seem so odd to you?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics