Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Gratuitous Pants


A while ago, I wrote a post titled Gratuity. I'm not sure I have a lot to add, but I do want to add one point to start.

I hate when restaurants says that they require a 15% gratuity. No, you don't. You can't. Just like you can't charge me for free food. They don't match. One thing or other is wrong.

Now that the language lesson part of our evening is concluded, let me introduce my new project: Gratuitous Pants.

If other people can add up which movies do and don't have unnecessary nudity, scenes in which the dramatic or comedic value of the work as a whole wouldn't be altered if the characters weren't naked, then I can do the opposite.

We all know there are scenes in movie in which people are wearing pants and the dramatic or comedic value of the work as a whole wouldn't be altered if the characters had not been wearing pants. They are either by themselves, with an intimate partner or some other circumstance in which their lack of pants would not strike one as in any way incongruous.

This should not be confused with previous notes in which I have stated that the characters lack of nudity was itself awkward, or awkwardly handled. This is only to note that the pants weren't themselves an essential part of telling the story properly.

Assuming I don't get caught up in, y'know, the story and whatnot, I plan to examine and call out all Gratuitous Pants I see for the near future.

Be warned!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics