Monday, February 02, 2009

New Orleans



I love The Battle of New Orleans, and, no, not really as a novelty song, although I do get why people associate it that way. I think it was funny to find out it was written to inspire students interest in history. As soon as you know it, you can tell that its almost randomly packed with facts. You could take a quiz on the battle if you memorized it.

What's Andrew Jackson's nickname? Oh, yeah! And his rank at the time? Woohoo! I'm gonna rock this test!

This is the only clip of Johnny Horton performing I see. He died in 1960, so there likely aren't many more to be unearthed.

Can you imagine a modern pop hit performed with a ballet reenactment of the War of 1812 performed behind it? Man, today sucks!

2 comments:

SamuraiFrog said...

I love this song. And I've found over the years it's a good song for exercising to; that beat is perfect for it.

Neil Sarver said...

I can dig that.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics